Green Business Developer
|Date Posted||14th November 2017|
|Placement Length||10 weeks|
New Galloway Community Enterprises Ltd (NGCE) is a community benefit company. It was set up to purchase the last remaining general store in the New Galloway village.
Community benefit companies, or BenComs, are a modern form of Industrial and Provident Societies. They are community owned and community run and can trade solely for the benefit of the community. All profits must be re-invested in the community.
As a remote-rural village in South West Scotland, New Galloway has a relatively high proportion of people living in fuel poverty, as well as people who have difficulties in accessing services for, in particular those without a car. The organisation is looking for someone to research and implement two key environmental initiatives in New Galloway:
1. Exploring the possibilities of opening an oil and wood-pellet buying co-operative in the village, to reduce prices and also reduce carbon emissions from uncoordinated deliveries to the village.
2. Developing a plan to start a web-based car-share initiative to allow people to flag when they are making sole trips into town and would be prepared to take a passenger, or when they are available for, for example, taxi-ing to hospital visits.
Over the course of a 10 week placement, key tasks will include:
• Researching and collating best practice in similar schemes around the country.
• Developing a strategy for the implementation and maintenance of the schemes post placement.
• Implementing and advertising the schemes, and administering them for the final weeks of the placement.
• Critically evaluating the process and the use so far and making recommendations for future development of the schemes by our Community Engagement Worker.
The ideal candidate will be studying towards or will have graduated with a relevant degree within the last three years (HND or higher).
As this is a business development role, this would be a great opportunity for someone who is interested in business management, start-ups, innovation etc.
As part of the placement you must also have:
• Own transport
• Strong IT skills
• Good communication skills and ability to work with diverse age and income demographics.
• Strategic thinking
• The ability to tough out 10 weeks in a very rural community with very few people your own age!
Deadline – Monday 7th December | Start Date – January | Paid £8.45 an hour | Full-time